Saturday, July 7, 2018

Week 2: Media

Topic 1:

Three people I follow on the website I primarily use, twitter, is Anarchy Federation which gives more in depth outlooks over class struggles and people who are struggling in poverty. It isn't technically a huge outlet and is more about the individual than anything else. Another is Farah Baker, who is a 20 year-old Palestinian girl that discusses the heavy conflict between Palestine and Israel and while most of our streamlined media sides with Israel it is just as fitting to see what a young person in Palestine has to say about it all. The last is Vice News which is giving mostly up to date news on events transpiring in the world.

The best tweet is by Nolan Peterson, correspondent for Daily Signal who talks about the artillery that is exploding overhead on the 100 year end of the first world war. It stood out just because of the history of an event that shaped our world a hundred years ago and how little we've changed since then when it comes to the desire to kill each other.

I feel social media is good for collaborating with others and moving to work together without necessarily gathering at any time. Locally I attended a protest in Portland which was at the ICE headquarters to stand up for the families detained at the southern border and it was all organized through facebook. This allows us to all be interconnected while we're going about our daily tasks and doing what we need to do beforehand without needing to build resources beforehand.

Topic 2:

We don't really have designated rules when it comes to the use of our devices and even use it to coordinate before we even meet. My family is an 'into the future' kind of family so it's easy for us to do what we need to do and get everything taken care of before we meet. We understand that when we're together that we should probably restrict use and engage personally.

I don't game on my phone, I just don't like the interface and believe that phone games are so limited that I can't get any fun out of it. On my computer I have over a hundred games on the provider known as Steam. I enjoy RPGS, and Action/Adventures for the most part just because I feel like those kind of games allow us to build who we want to be within that world and we can live out our fantasies and learn in-game skills.

I probably spend around 40-50 hours a week gaming. I am involved in several communities based on the games I play. For games such as ArmA, which is a military simulator, there are communities that refer to themselves as 'units' and operate as such with many key members having previous military experience even. Some communities are integrated and are about building up the player like Payday, or ArmA, some are less inclusive and more vile like League of Legends or even Overwatch which are very toxic and don't really care. There's a community for every type of game out there as well as modding communities for rookie developers that want to add their own wrinkle to an already established game.

No comments:

Post a Comment